Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a Pomeranian that is about 4 months old and have had

Customer Question

I have a Pomeranian that is about 4 months old and have had him for 3 weeks I left for about and hour today and when I got back home there was blood that almost looked like a bloody nose and we started to search around the house we found some stool that wasn't loose but only a little bit and then we found another area that it was more blood but with almost a mucus clot .. We took him to the vet about a week an a half ago for hypoglycemia
So the vet said give him hotdogs,cottage cheese, ceasers puppy, anything he will eat if he's not eating so yesterday he was acting finicky I mixed in with his food a half of hot dog and some white rice and some of his hard food .. Just wondering if this is a result in food change.. Or if something serious is going on. (Also I give him nutri-cal every 4 hrs or so to stimulate his appetite
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears to me that Calvin has a mild digestive disturbance caused by possibly the hypoglycemic episode. This causes loose stool that irritates the very sensitive rectal mucosa which causes small blood vessels to break and bleed. The Mucous is present because Calvin is in pain and the stool has remained in the colon too long.

This also could be caused by Coccidia, Coronoavirus or parvovirus so , since Calvin is quite young, it is best to have him checked out again by your vet.

In the meantime, fast Calvin for 12 hrs and at the same time, give him Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. After the fast, feed Calvin a small meal of rice and chicken....if he is feeling better and the stool is normal, then he will be fine.

If he is still having trouble, take Calvin to your vet right away....even the dehydration can cause Calvin serious complications.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that he is 4.2 pounds so I'm worried to fast him do to hypoglycemia.
Oh my, Amanda....Calvin is very tiny...forget the fast but give the Pepcid AC and give the rice and chicken with a few drops of Karo Syrup just to be safe....

Call your vet, Amanda about the results of the fecal test...this may help but a food change can cause this as well on such a tiny guy.....
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u so much for the detailed answer
You are very welcome, Amanda!

Thank you so much, Amanda for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Calvin is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a great day!

Good morning, Amanda. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Calvin. Is he doing any better? Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes! Much better I think he was actually a little constipated !! So after feeding him pretty bland diet it Really helped Nd checked his stool since then and everything had been normal !!
That is great news, Amanda!! I am so glad that little Calvin is back to his old self!!

I hope you and Calvin have a great day!