Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 9-1/2 yr old yellow lab (Duke) was vomiting fairly regularly,

My 9-1/2 yr old yellow lab (Duke) was vomiting fairly regularly, mainly in the mornings and almost all bile/phlem. The vet did xrays and a procedure where they fed him a little food and watched how long it took him to process it. The vet ended up saying there was no blockage or anything, but looked like he has age related slow motility. In the meantime, put him on Cerenia to stop the vomiting, along with Pecid and Prilosec. He hasn't drank water since. He is on a canned food now, so he's getting some water that way, and is still peeing, but will not drink water. I've tried a new bowl, I've tried a people bowl, I've tried moving his bowl.....he did drink some Pedialyte and some skim milk (both mixed with water), but plain water is still a NO. Could it be the Cerenia? He's done with it tomorrow so I'm hoping that's it, but at a loss here. Please help.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Duke.
Well, I don't often hear about any complication as a result of the Cerenia itself. Generally, a wonderful once a day medication to help with vomiting.

If not vomiting, just ask your vet about not giving the last dose.

Interesting to be using both Pepcid and Prilosec. Not quite sure why both antacids are needed. Prilosec is quite good.

No milk! Milk is not digestible by dogs causing stomach upset and will act as a natural laxative inducing diarrhea. So, milk is not helping.

Definitely, if going on a few days with little improvement, I would get back into the vet and definitely time for some basic blood testing.

X-rays may be clear, but you have no idea what is going on inside the body relative to organ function, infections, etc...That blood test would be great!

Pedialyte is perfect. Gatorade is okay as well. You can also stimulate water intake by adding canned tuna juice to his water (just make sure to change frequently due to spoiling).

Very sorry to hear Duke is not feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - not sure why both on the Pecid and Prilosec, but she said both. I only did the skim milk thing once and not since (realized the digestive issue). He had a full blood panel the month before when the vomiting started and everything was fine. He's also epileptic, so he's been on phenol for several years now, probably at least 5/6, so we were concerned about all of his functions, so he gets blood work done every six months anyway, but the full panel last time showed everything good. He will drink other things, just has never not drank water before - and am concerned as to why he's stopped now.

Understood Candy.
May even be necessary to now recheck the blood profile to ensure no changes since vomiting started.

I would also now consider testing like a fecal test, to ensure giardia or coccidia infection is not the cause (it would be silly to miss something like that, which is easy to treat), and even consider an abdominal ultrasound if no one can figure out this vomiting.

Abdominal Ultrasound in Dogs

Lastly, never hesitate to ask your vet to consult a internist for more suggestions, or even take him to a internal medicine specialist for a second opinion.

Find Various Specialists
--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine
--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?