Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dachshund/chihuahua mix who is about 2 years old has been

My dachshund/chihuahua mix who is about 2 years old has been having some vomiting issues today. He has thrown up several times and it is a yellowish color and somewhat like foam. He ate this morning, but now will not eat or drink anything. I am very worried he could have some sort of serious issue. He is also normally very active but today he has been very lethargic and just not himself. Another problem is he is shaking quite a bit, he normally does a little if he is cold but it is more frequent today. Any suggestions on what I should do for him?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Could Snacks have gotten into anything he shoudln't have?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food?

Is his belly hard to the touch or soft?

Is he up to date on vaccines?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He does have a tendency to eat things he should not but hasn't had any issues with this in over a week. I do give him small dog biscuits from Trader Joe's that say they are all natural. His stomach feels the same to me so I dont think there is any change there. He just received his 2 year old vaccines about 2-3 weeks ago and is now current on all of those.

Thanks for the extra information Carly, I really appreciate it.

Because you don't think he's gotten into anything, he's up to date on vaccines and has only been ill for today, I think we're likely just dealing with some run of the mill digestive upset.

The gold standard for treatment of both diarrhea and vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast him for 24 hours (providing he doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require he eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow him to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in his bowl so that he can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting or diarrhea. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in his kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have blood in the diarrhea or vomit or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have him seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection.

I hope this helps!!