Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

How to stop my dog from licking her feet without using the

How to stop my dog from licking her feet without using the Cone of Shame?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear your girl is licking so much. A couple things you can try is an anti histamine such as benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. This will help if she is licking because of an allergy. You can also try zyrtec (not zyrtec d) at a dose of 10 mg per 20 pounds of body weight. Sometimes zyrtec works a little better than benadryl. You also can wipe her feet including between her toes each time she comes in from outside with baby wipes just in case there is dust or pollen or something that is causing her feet to itch. There are a couple products you can spray on her feet in addition that are really bitter tasting to dogs to stop licking called Yuk! or Bitter Apple spray. So in addition to the benadryl and wiping her feet you can use these sprays to deter her. Finally you can place socks over her feet and use athletic tape to gently but snugly secure the socks. So i would definitely try some of these suggestions to stop her from licking without using the cone of shame. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additonal questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so i receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Jessie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pretty Good still licking