Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I just found red bumps on my dogs underbelly. I didnt Notice

I just found red bumps on my dogs underbelly. I didn't Notice them this morning so I'm not sure if he may have gotten bit by something or if he's sick. About 2 months ago my friends dog contracted a staph infection and my dog spent time with him. He also got into another dogs food 2 days ago. He's itched a few times but is otherwise acting normal. He's a 6year old miniature pinscher with no prior history of allergies or skin conditions. Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Dukes belly and the red bumps. Most likely he is having a little rash that is occurring. There is a chance its a mild bacterial (staph) infection but if it is not bugging him much and if you just noticed it then it is more likely just a rash. They can get rash's from almost anything especially when they go outside. The first thing I would do is wash off his bell with a mild soap and water just in case whatever caused the rash is still on him. Obviously you can just give him a whole bath if you want. Second I would give him some benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. You may want to get children's tylenol if he is really small otherwise you can split up an adult tablet to the appropriate dose. Benadryl is very safe so even if he gets a little extra it won't hurt him. I would get a couple doses into him over the next 24 hours and monitor the rash. Also you can apply a thin coat of hydrocortisone cream to the bumps on his bell if you would like. Make sure he does not lick it off though after you apply it by distracting him for at least 15 minutes or so. Apply this twice daily. The bath, benadryl and hydrocortisone cream should definitely help the red bumps. if anything worsens though or it does not resolve obviously he should be seen by your vet to make sure nothing else is going on.. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Whitehead! Does it matter that the bumps are all different sizes, a few of them are pretty large and stick out a ways from his skin.
You are welcome. No, often times rashes can vary in size and some bumps are worse than the others so the anti histamines again should help a lot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you!
You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr. Whitehead, my dogs bumps went away yesterday but came back today as welts- should I continue to give him Benadryl or take him to the vet today/tomorrow morning? Other than being sleepy (which I'm assuming is from the Benadryl) he seems normal.

Thank you!
Yes you can continue to give the Benadryl and if they do not resolve in 24 more hours then definitely have him seen by your vet.