How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19668
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate dark chocolate covered almonds. He may have

This answer was rated:

My dog just ate dark chocolate covered almonds. He may have just had One, but could have had a few more. Do I need to get him in?
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. How much does Leo weigh { In pounds } ?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Leo weighs 17.4 pounds. I'm fairly certain that he just had one chocolate covers almond, but he could have had up to 5.
Hello again Molly and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

Good news! You have no worries, this is not going to affect Leo in the slightest. Chocolate can be poisonous to dogs but they have to eat quite a lot, normally significantly more than your dog did for severe consequences to occur.

I say this because : The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark { semi sweet } chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when one ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Leo's weight as being in the region of 17 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 5 ozs before serious symptoms would occur.

Clearly the chocolate coating on five chocolate almonds would be very much lower than this ... Also also almonds themselves are not toxic to dogs.

He should be just fine ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,


Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again Molly,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a few days to check on Leo's progress. { But I bet he will be just fine! }

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Molly,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Leo is getting on with the chocolate almonds. Did he show any symptoms?

Regards,

Scott