Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

This evening and the past two nights my dog has been exhibiting

This evening and the past two nights my dog has been exhibiting some strange behavior. He will seem to be fine and almost a little too excited and then shortly later he starts acting confused and his movements are slow and deliberate. His head and eyes are a little wobbly and he is a bit restless. The last two nights this went on for a little while and then he seems fine again.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not about at present, however my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I will be very pleased to work with you today if that is OK and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure if it is relevant or if it helps you, but he had his vaccinations on Monday for Rabies and something else, Bortadella?

Hello again Katrina and thanks for waiting.

Thanks for the further information, reactions to vaccinations are possible and do occur but the symptoms would normally first appear within 48 hours of the vaccination being given in my experience. For this reason I would doubt if the vaccines are connected with your dog's present symptoms.

Sorry to hear about Noji's problem, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. What could possibly be causing these symptoms? :

A. If this sort of behaviour is coming and going and he seems fine in the periods in between then it is most likely to be some form of neurological problem such as a minor form of inherited epilepsy { Petit mal epilepsy }. This would commonly first show itself in a dog of two to three years of age.

B. Also consider things like middle ear infections { Which can cause vertigo } .

C. Toxins are also a possibility as are various other infections.

2. What to do about it? : Well unfortunately there is nothing much you can do to help Noji on a home remedy basis so all you can do is to have him checked over by your vet at the first opportunity. Some forms of petit mal epilepsy respond well to anticonvulsive drugs and middle ear infections and of course other infections will respond to antibiotics, but the first step has to be to get some form of diagnosis established.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. He has been shaking his head a bit and scratching his ears a lot. I didn't consider the ears being a problem because the vet checked them on Monday, but she probably couldn't have seen and ear infection just by looking. He seems better now and I will take him in as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Hello again Katrina,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

That sounds encouraging, hopefully it is just a minor ear problem, but having him checked over would be wise ...

Hello again Katrina,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a few days to check on Noji's progress.

Kindest regards,

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Katrina,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Noji is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for asking, I ended up taking him to the Emergency Vet Clinic the next morning. We woke me up early because he was vomiting all over. The Vet said that the behavior issues could have been related to digestive issues which is all that they treated him for. They only thing I notice now is some anxiety and restlessness. I don't know he might be picking up the anxiety from me since I worry about him. I am keeping an eye on him but he doesn't appear to be having any seizures or other issues at present. Thanks again for your help.

Hello again Katrina,

Thanks so much for the update ... Hopefully he will continue to improve.