How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17840
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our 9 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel may have ingested

This answer was rated:

Our 9 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel may have ingested mushrooms in our yard tonight. He was in an area that had mushrooms growing but we didn't see him ingest them. He had an episode of diarrhea tonight. Otherwise he has been acting normal. Is this something to be concerned about?
Hi,

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. The ingestion of mushrooms is one of the more challenging situations. Identification of them is usually impossible. For the most part, most mushrooms are not going to cause any significant toxicity issues. Most will cause intestinal upset - vomiting or diarrhea if enough are ingested. Some can be neurotoxic and cause tremors and other issues, but these aren't common at all. As long as he's acting normal - playing, eating, and interacting normally - the diarrhea here tonight isn't that worrisome. If the diarrhea persists, then a trip to the vet for some medication to help this is recommended. Most cases have a bit of diarrhea that resolves on its own.
Dr. Bruce and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions