Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a Shih Tzu who has had diarrhea for 3 days, never watery

I have a Shih Tzu who has had diarrhea for 3 days, never watery but first 2 days quite runny . Last night and this morning a little more solid but he threw up a few min ago just a little yellow acid. I held his food for 10 hrs then have given him boiled chicken and rice. He has been drinkining well until this morning. He hasn't drank ,much in the last 3 hrs . He has an appointment Mon to have his eye checked will he be ok to wait till that apt or do I need to take him to ER treatment
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Other than the digestive upset, how is he acting?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does he ever eat non-food items?

Is he up to date on vaccines?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His belly is soft
Was playing this morning but since throwing up laying on couch watching back door as he hear my husband Does not get bones or rawhide Once in awhile gets people food No non food items ever Yes up to date on vaccines

Thanks so much for the additional information...I really appreciate it.

Since he doesn't get bones or rawhides and doesn't eat non-food items, we can rule out things like obstruction. With no people food, there's little chance of pancreatitis. Since he's up to date on vaccines, I'm not worried about things like Parvo.

I honestly think that we've got a general case of digestive upset...which you actually handled mostly correctly...however, I'd recommend fasting him for 24 hours. 10 hours isn't generally long enough to allow the system to reset itself, so going a full day will help a great deal.

I suspect by increasing the fasting time, you'll get this stopped. However, if it doesn't, then you can have him seen by his regular vet on Monday morning. Since he's mostly acting normally, I don't think he needs to be rushed to the emergency over the weekend, but of course, if he should take a change for the worse, then you should have him seen, but I really think that the fasting will do the trick.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is not a major concern that he threw up ? It was only the one time about half hour ago and a very small amount of yellow liquid bile. No solid. If he doesn't drink a lot is it ok to give him Pedialite

No. I'm not worried about a little bit of yellow vomit...odds are that it's just stomach acid, or bile...and I'm not concerned.

I think Pedialyte is fine to fine to give him. Just don't give too much at once.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see on the confirmation for the $15 it says DEPOSIT How much is this going to cost total ??

That is your total. You don't get charged per reply or anything.
Hi Morningstar,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bear. How is everything going?