Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my rat terrier had with my chiwawa a lot last month and

my rat terrier had sex with my chiwawa a lot last month and now here nipples seem to have gotten bigger. is that a sign of pregnancy

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. Mammary gland development could be a sign of pregnancy. The normal gestation length for a dog is 60 to 62 days. They can start to have abdominal enlargement and mammary gland development around the 30 to 40 day range. But, these aren't definite signs of pregnancy as some can have false pregnancies. This is where hormonally the body goes through the stages of pregnancy but there are no puppies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well how do we know for sure

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

and how many in a litter do chiwawas typically have

They usually have 2 to 3 in a litter. But I've seen lots of singles and up to 5 in a litter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do we know for sure. bring her to a vet?

A vet evaluation is usually needed as they can palpate, ultrasound or around day 50 take an x-ray to get a possible puppy count. An experienced breeder can palpate pups around day 35 to 40.
Hi Maryann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chelsea. How is everything going?