How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 15677
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was very careless and was attempting to open a head

This answer was rated:

My husband was very careless and was attempting to open a head of garlic per a utube video he watched. apparently the head of garlic 'exploded' and a few cloves fell on the ground. He claimed that he picked up all the pieces after I got really upset because I've told him how toxic garlic is for dogs. Clearly he lied because a little while later he found a clove on the stairs and a small piece had been chewed from the tip of the clove. We have 4 dogs but I'm pretty sure which dog might have ingested that little piece of garlic. Problem is, he's a tiny italian greyhound, so he weighs in around 7 pounds or so. What should I do in the event that he did ingest a little bit of a garlic clove?

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. My apologies that your query wasn't answered earlier. Different experts do come online at different times. Anyway, I have just come online, read about Humphrey's situation, and wanted to allay your worries.

It is quite true that garlic is not something we'd want to feed to our dogs. That said, unlike toxicities with raisins/grapes, a small one time dose of garlic is unlikely to cause any lasting harm. If anything, we may see Humphrey develop stomach upset from this.

The toxicity concern we have with garlic is when it is administered in large doses or repeatedly (as some people mistakenly will use it trying to deter fleas). In these cases, the metabolites from the garlic cause damage to the dog's red blood cells. And with this happens, we can see weakness, pale gums, anemia, a fast heart rate or collapse.

Overall, a few nibbles of this clove is unlikely to cause Humphrey any harm. I would advise feeding him a light diet (ie boiled chicken, white fish or scrambled egg with rice) for a few days if he appears to have GI upset. Otherwise, as long as we do not give any more garlic and do not see the above signs of anemia (which are unlikely here), then it is likely he will not suffer any issue with this garlic misadventure.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.


Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )
Dr. B. and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions