Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog wont eat or drink and is vomiting a dark yellow liquid

My dog won't eat or drink and is vomiting a dark yellow liquid we took him to the vet who did a urine and blood test but found nothing. It has now been a week since he ate and he stopped drinking water 2 days ago he's lethargic and drooling and seems to have labored breath through his nose and not through his mouth. I'm scared he's going to die, we took him back to the vet who said to hand feed and water but he won't take it. He is too weak for x rays so he needs to gain strength. He has all current shots and is only 5yrs old. Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 10 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Afro.
Absolutely, must get into another vet for a second opinion. Better yet, and before any more time passes, a consult with a internal medicine specialist would be great. There is clearly a serious issue that is going undiagnosed. For the vet to only say try to hand feed is not good enough!

Find Various Specialists
--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine
--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist

With vomiting, no appetite in a week, and not really drinking, he really should be hospitalized. I don't know if that was suggested but should have been discussed.

In addition, there are some really good medications that could possibly help Afro.
Examples:
1. Cerenia. An amazing, once a day anti-vomiting/anti-nausea drug.

2. Starting an antacid ASAP

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

To try and increase water intake, you could try offering some gatorade, pedialyte, or adding canned tuna juice to his water (just make sure to change frequently due to spoiling).

With active labored breathing and drooling an emergency trip is well worth it, and get him trasnferred to a internist.
forget gaining strength. That x-ray is now critical, because if there is a retained foreign body, any further delay in a needed surgery would make him far worse.

Such a tough situation. Very sorry that Afro is not feeling well.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management