Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.

I have a yorkshire terrier 4 months old. She is 1/4 Jrt and

Customer Question

I have a yorkshire terrier 4 months old. She is 1/4 Jrt and 3/4 yorkie. 2.5kg.
2 weeks ago she had an ear infection we were given ear drops but they were incredibly difficult to administer as she resisted hugely.
We tried our best anyway and in honsesty we may of forgotten the last few days of the course as she seemed better and it was arduous getting them in.
Well she began itching at her ear again and I thought time to take her back to the vet. .. The next day I noticed her eye was gunky... I bathed it and underneath her eye lid was swollen and the other eye also!
I took her to the vet that morning and the vet cleaned out her ears again which were very gunky! He prescribed otomax for her ears. He looked at her eyes and said the infection seems to be restricted to her eyelids (crusty and lumpy where there were not scabs).
Also she had some small raised lumps (like acne if you like) under her chin and slight redness and swelling around her lips/under her nose..

He prescribed clinagel for her eyes and kesium 62.5mg tablets to try to get on top of this infection.

I asked why she had both ears infected and both eyes and he said "just one of those things sometimes she is young".

Would you agree with this opinion and have faith in the 3 lots of antibiotic meds given or are you aware of anything more we should be looking for... I mean sounds a lot for one little pup to deal with for "one of those things". Also notes she chews on her left back paw but it doesnt apear to be sore. but it is usually wet from her constantly going at it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 6 months ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

In a 4 month old dog, I'd be looking for some inciting factor to be at the root of all her issues.

Dr. Scarlett :

For the ear infection--did the vet check for ear mites? Was a cytology done to determine if the problem was yeast or bacteria or both?

Dr. Scarlett :

What food are you feeding her? Have you changed brands or bags recently? Does she get any dog treats, rawhides, people food, etc? Does she chew on any plants? I wonder about allergies, specifically, that could be an underlying cause.

Dr. Scarlett :

Did your vet do a skin scrape at all to look for mites? Is Tilly really only itchy on her ears, eyes, and the left back paw?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
.

Dr. Scarlett :

They thoroughly checked her ears and said nothing about mites no scrapes were taken he just said will give her a different strain of antibiotics as the last ones didnt work.

she is on Iams puppy & junior with fresh chicken to entice her to eat it as each time we tried wet food she would get an upset tummy even introduced slowly. No treats.

No. It did just seem to be her ears though she isnt itching today on her ears since starting antibiotics again yesterday however note her back paw is wet again. He didnt address her back paw. Her eyes dont seem to be itchy but they are crusty

If she has allergies, at her age it is almost always due to food (she hasn't been exposed long enough to things like pollens). The first thing I would do is switch her to something completely different and with NO chicken. Maybe lamb & rice. Use warm water to entice her to eat (or maybe she'll be more interested if you use a different brand of food) or even some lamb baby food as a topping.

If they didn't look at the ear gunk under a microscope, they need to do so. Ear mites are generally easy to find under a microscope (sometimes even with the naked eye--here is a video I took of some just the other day! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202093443035706&set=vb.304160609698492&type=2&theater)
But he also needs to determine if there is yeast or bacteria or both growing in the ear. That will help decide what topical medication might be the best. Otomax is good and covers both, but if there is something like nasty rod-shaped bacteria down there, something else might be needed.

You can certainly try giving Tilly some benadryl (diphenhydramine) to see if that helps with the licking. Antihistamines aren't great in dogs that are licking and scratching a lot, but it might help a little. I would get the children's dose and give her 1/4 of that. (Benadryl comes in 25 mg tablets; the children's dose is 12.5 mg. Tilly needs about 2.5 - 3 mg every 8 hours).

Mites would be another concern. A skin scrape to look for demodex mites may be worthwhile (these are not very itchy) or an ivermectin trial to rule out sarcoptic mites (these are VERY itchy. Plus ivermectin will kill ear mites, too), might be good.

So I'd head back to your vet or maybe get a second opinion elsewhere. But try changing her diet first thing!
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
Hi Dawn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tilly. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tool her back for a second opinion an the vet picked up what was wrong. We were looking at either strangles or bleach being the culprit. The bleaching of her feetpads indicated bleach she was put onto ronaxan and prednicare at a high dose. Within 12 hours she seemed to pick up- 3 days later her eyes are nearly healed her sore area around her muzzle is much less inflamed and her ear infection has cleared up. Vet thinks ear was seperate issue. She has been chewing on the mop hence loosing fur and inflamation round her mouth and has obv scratched her eyes with it on her paws. I hadnt noticed the bleached paws!!
Glad you went back to the vet--good catch on his/her part! Hope Tilly continues to improve and do well from here on out!