Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My 3 year old Rottweiler has a raised scab on the outside of

My 3 year old Rottweiler has a raised scab on the outside of his left elbow, about the size of a nickel maybe a little larger. It is hard and red, and not much hair on the actual scab, hair surrounding is mostly covering it though. I noticed it last night because he was licking it. It doesn't seem to be bothering him much otherwise, no reaction when I touch or push on it or anything. And still walking completely normally. When I tell him to stop licking he does. This morning when I checked it there was a very small amount of discharge crusting the hair below.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
It is common to get sores, or swelling, on the elbows. It usually happens when they sleep on a hard surface. The best way to get it to heal is to keep it wrapped for about a week. You can apply neosporin antibacterial ointment to help fight infection. You can use a telfa pad non-stick pad, covers with gauze for padding, and secured with non-stick tape. You will find all the supplies at the human drug store.
He will probably remove the bandage if you are not watching him every second which is impossible. You can buy a plastic elizabethan collar at pet smart. That will prevent bandage removal and licking. As it heals, the scab will itch so you will probably need to keep the collar on him until it is healed.
If the drainage is thick yellow or green, or has a bad odor, it is infected and he will need oral antibiotics from a vet.
Try to get him to lay on a few blankets, or a thick dog bed, so no extra pressure is put on that elbow.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional quesitons, please reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, this is the most common answer I found searching google was the lying on hard surfaces, and I'm hoping that this is the reason. He does definitely like to lie on my tile floor.
It is on the side of the elbow though, not the bottom where he most often lies and I would expect to see a callous. Searching pictures those callous's seem to be a black scab or sometimes a soft lump, his is red and fresh looking, flattened, hard, and raised a good couple mm from the surrounding skin.
Also have had him for a year almost and just seeing this now. Is there any way to confirm that it is just from hard surface other than taking him to the vet? Will get a picture when I get home from work should have taken one this morning. If you still think that is what it is I will definitely get some bandages and ointments tonight and monitor to make sure it get's better.
Thanks again, much appreciated.

No, the callous on dog, is always on the side of the elbow.
What happens is the callous becomes inflamed or infected. I have seen some huge side of elbows from infected callouses. But they always get better with treatment : )
I am pretty sure that is what he has.
Sure I would be happy to look at some pictures.
To post them, use the icon that looks like a "paper clip" to post them. It is at the top of the tool bar.
You can also post them using "photobucket" and then paste the link in the box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perfect, thanks again :) Eased my worrying a lot. Automatically think the worst. Here are a few pictures. Sorry it took so long I just got home from work. Going to go get bandages and neosporin now. Hopefully these are helpful his fur does get in the way was hard to get any that showed it. Let me know if you still think it is just from lying on hard surface please or if you would like any more info or pictures.

Great Pictures. Thanks.
I was expecting a much worse lesionWink
It is pretty far forward so I am not so sure it is an inflamed, or infected, elbow callous. It looks more like a scratch that has become infected. Or a "hot spot" which is localized area of infection.
I do think you can treat it at home.
If you go to the drug store, you can buy some "betadine" which is an antibacterial skin cleanser in the first aid aisle. It is a brown liquid in a bottle. Clean the wound with the betadine twice a day until the scab is gone.
When it is dry, apply neosporin antibacterial cream mixed with hydrocortisone cream 50:50. It is not toxic if he licks it but if he does, then put a bandage, or e-collar, on him.
It should be noticeably improved by Tuesday. It will take about 10-14 days to heal.
If it is not healing, or it gets worse, then he should see a vet.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay thank you very much. Can I use polysporin instead of neosporin? Neosporin requires a prescription at the drug store. And already put some polysporin on and attempted to wrap it. Will definitely go look for betadine and hydrocorisone then regardless.

Very helpful, much appreciated :)

Do you think it is anything that could be contagious by the way? Should he be kept away from other dogs or animals at all?

Glad to help. Sure polysporin is fine. No, I do not believe it is contagious or that he needs to be quarantined.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby