Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

We gave our family dog of 5 years up for adoption to a no kill

We gave our family dog of 5 years up for adoption to a no kill ASPCA clinic here in Southern has been 5 months now since he has seen us and the clinic has a policy to let previous owners to visit the new family if they concern is, is it to much of a mind mess to go and visit him after 5 months now that he is surely accepting his new family and most likely would not understand the purpose of a 'visit'...we had him since he was 8 weeks old and our four boys were his pack mates...I dont want to cause him any stress, and I feel that the visit may not be the best move for any of us. We miss and love him and it was only because of our move to a non pet community that forced out hand...otherwise he would be here with us. Do dogs understand visiting?

Hello and thank you for requesting me. Though dogs usually live in the moment if you feel stressed about or are questioning it I would say it is the wrong move.. The dog will pick up on your stress and may become stressed. They do not really understand time but if you are going to the shelter to visit that might make him think he is going home with you. If he were already settled in with the new family and you were visiting him there then it would not be so bad because the environment is totally different.