Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

dog came inside after 15mins with face swollen eyes & mouth

dog came inside after 15mins with face swollen eyes & mouth really swelled up gave her Benedryl 25mg & a quick bath washed face really good.. Now what should I do? Im scared shes only 8mths old weighs around 14lbs name isXXXXX shes a pure breed Welsh Corgi.. HELP PLEASE
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Izzy.

Certainly it sounds like a bad hypersensitivity reaction, which could have been caused by anything including an insect bite or sting.

Double check her face, neck and lips to ensure no snake bites.

Benadryl dose for a 14 pound dog is about 14mg. You gave 25mg which is perfectly fine.

But!
Is it enough?
Well, with any swelling...any...it is almost a 100% recommendation of all vets, you get into a vet right now. Why?

Well, a vet can give a steroid shot which can work wonders for getting a pet over a allergic reaction, as well as, is the treatment of choice for reducing swelling.

You did good with giving benadryl, but ideally, a vet visit right now for some steroids would be the ideal therapy.
If you elect not to go, the best I can suggest is repeating a dose of benadryl in about 8 hours. But, it is quite possible the facial swelling might not subside for a very long time without the steroid. It could be several hours to even 24 hours. The steroid works very fast.

Very sorry to hear what happened to Izzy. I know its no fun seeing them in that distress.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Brandie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy Jean. How is everything going?