Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.

Hi. I just came home from a long day at work. My two tibbies

Customer Question

Hi. I just came home from a long day at work. My two tibbies were crated while I was gone. They both have bright red blood in the stool. Could it be stress? They are not usually left alone as I don't work daily. Also there's a new puppy in the apartment next door and I'm sure they heard barking and may have been stressed by that. What do I need to do? Their behavior seems normal, they don't act ill, and they both have appetites.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Rebecca : Hello,
Rebecca : I am sorry to hear about Kipu and Freddy.
Rebecca : My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Customer:

Hi Rebecca. Thanks.

Rebecca : This could be stress. Bright red blood in the stool is undigested blood, which means it came from the colon. If it came from the small intestine or the stomach, it would be digested and look black and tarry.
Customer:

right.

Rebecca : So this is inflammation of the colon, or colitis, which could be stress.
Customer:

ok. neither has had access to anything sharp they could have ingested. they both ate normally this morning.

Rebecca : If you look at their gums, do they look a normal bright pink.
Customer:

ill check

Rebecca : If they are eating, and drinking, and the stool was formed, it was probably due to stress, or something irritating in the colon.
Rebecca : If so, that is a good sign that they are not seriously ill.
Customer:

Their gums appear normal.

Rebecca : Excellent!
Rebecca : If the regurgitation occurs again, I might be a little more worried.
Customer:

I think he maybe just ate too fast. The kibble was still whole. he usually chews better.

Rebecca : The barking next door dog could be very stressful, for a dog.
Customer:

Probably so. We've been here two years with no dog next door. This is the first day we've heard this one.

Rebecca : If it looked like undigested food, that is likely.
Customer:

I'm supposed to work again tomorrow. I don't know whether I need to have them see a vet, or wait to see how they are when I get home. I plan to have a pet sitter come in midday to spend some time with them.

Rebecca : At this point, I would not start them on any medication, if they were mine. Having someone they know come in tomorrow is a great idea.
Customer:

I can do that. I have a couple of good sitters they are familiar and comfortable with.

Rebecca : If they are eating and drinking, and their gums are pink, just monitoring them would be what I would do for the next 24 hours.
Customer:

Ok. I'll do that. That's what my instincts were telling me but sometimes I read too much stuff online and it scares me into rushing to the vet, only to pay huge fees for tests and then have everything come out "normal".

Rebecca : Bright red blood in an otherwise normal dog does not even make my top ten list of things to rush to the vet with!
Customer:

That's a relief to hear. Thanks, Rebecca.

Rebecca : You are welcome. I will check back with you to see how they are doing.
Customer:

Ok, thanks! They'll get lots of snuggle therapy tonight, and they'll have fun with Carly tomorrow. I'm optimistic. I do appreciate your checking back though. Thanks a lot.

Rebecca : You are welcome.
Rebecca : Is there anything else I can answer or help with?
Customer:

No. Just looking to see what I need to do now. I click a smiley face, then what?

Rebecca : that is it, if you have no more questions.
Rebecca : But I can still check with you tomorrow.
Rebecca : The chat stays open until you rate my answer.
Customer:

Ok, I see the submit button. I'm good now. Thanks again for your help.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the great rating!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.
Hello Judy,
How are the Tibbies today?