Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog Brewtus (pitbull) started sneezing plus the reverse

My dog Brewtus (pitbull) started sneezing plus the reverse sneeze that dogs do about a week and half ago. Right around the same time he was do for his yearly. At his appointment I mentioned his symptoms to the vet and they said that it may be allergies but if Brew didn't improve to let them know. Of course, he got a little worse and started getting watery eyes and clear mucus out of his nose. The vet prescribed him Cephalexin (500mg twice a day, every 12 hours). He is on his 4th dose and is still getting worse. Now, he has yellow mucus coming out of his nose and eye "boogers" like crazy. He is a little lathargic but has not lost his appetite (not yet at least). He wheezes and it seems to get worse at night. I am very concerned. Does anybody have any other possible diagnosis of what it could be?

Also, my neighbor who is a dear friend for about 10 years now, adopted a dog from the pound who had a respiratory infection (I think it was Kennel cough but my friend disagrees). We went through the process of keeping the dogs seperated for about 2 weeks until the new medicated dog was in the clear. Could this have lead to my dog Brewtus' illness now, even though their illnesses are different?

We have another appointment in the morning to do blood work. The vet said he will know what is wrong within the time of our visit. I'm not sure what the blood work will be able to tell him but that is the next step.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Yes, it is possible that a upper respiratory infection (not necessarily kennel cough, caused by the bordetella bacteria), could have infected your pet.

My primary concern is your antibiotic. Cephalexin is not necessarily a good choice for some respiratory infections. I would let your vet know ASAP what is happening and if they can prescribe a different antibiotic.

For respiratory infections, most vets use either clavamox or doxycycline. Doxycycline, recently, has become ridiculously expensive, so some vets have already got on their shelves a product called minocycline that may work as well.

But, with the new changes in the eyes and nose, this is definitely suggestive of a emerging respiratory infection.

Sorry to hear Brewtus is not feeling well.
Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your response Dr. Andy, Brewtus and I realyl appreciate it.

I thought that the Keflex was a weird antibiotic for him to take as well, see how I stressed my concern for his symptoms.

I do have one more question for you though. Like I said we have another appointment in the morning and I was curious how a blood work test would shot the doctor that he has a respiratory infection? Shouldn't another test be administered?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Nope, a blood test may show absolutely nothing relative to a respiratory infection.
It may show in the CBC (complete blood count) how high a white blood cell may be, to suggest the severity of an infection present.

If another test, it would possibly be either:
1. A culture swab of some of the stuff coming out of the nose to see what bacteria is present.
or
2. X-rays of the chest, if there is any worry about how the lungs sound or if cough is worsening.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I really hope after the blood test he will prescribe on of the new antibiotics that one mentioned. If not, I will mention and possibly suggest them.

Sorry to keep you busy, just a few more questions...

1. What are the long term side effects of a respiratory infection? Only reason I ask is because Sunday we have seen these symptoms for almost two weeks now and have been too and talked to the vet multiple times.

2. How long, if on the right antibiotics, will the infection go away?

Thank you again Dr. Andy.

Woody and Brewtus

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
1. Long term effects. Most routine respiratory infections do not persist long-term. I guess the primary concern would be that a "upper" respiratory issue could progress into the lower lungs resulting in a pneumonia condition.

2. Generally, you could start to see improvement in just a few days. Most vets will prescribe no less than 7 days of antibiotics, and routinely 10 to 14 days.

Hope that info helps Woody
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello Dr. Andy,

I just wanted to do a follow up after Brew's appointment today and see what your thoughts were on the vets new method of treating Brew's illness.

The CBC test showed that Brew had a higher white blood count, I really hope this means it is just an upper respiratory infection and nothing more. Brew's new antibiotics are Orbax 68MG once a day and Amoxicillin 500MG twice a day. I am on way to get the Amoxicillin and will start to administer them as soon as I get back.

He mentioned that if it he didn't get drastically better over the weekend to bring him in Monday morning for a nose culture swab to be sent to a lab and test for fungal growth. I'm praying that isn't the case because I imagine that will get very bad.

But I just wanted to know your thoughts...Thanks again.

-Woody and Brewtus

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Yes, I do like the additional of the Orbax. It may help substantially, but give it at least a few days to see if improvement is observed.

Good plan.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Hi Woody,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brewtus. How is everything going?