Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My chihuahua ate 1/2 block of rat poison about 5hours ago.

My chihuahua ate 1/2 block of rat poison about 5hours ago. What should I do?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Rat poison.
If you have the box it came in or anything on the bait, I need to know the name of the active ingredient.
For example, Bromethalin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Andy.

It contains difethialone and anticoagulant

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr, Andy

It contains difethialone, an anticoaghulant

No, it is too late to induce vomiting. Ideally, vomiting should be induced no later than 1 hour after ingestion, and much better within 15 to 30 minutes.

Absolutely, get into a vet right now! No delay
This anticoagulant works by causing uncontrolled bleeding. It is a vitamin K antagonist, meaning, that getting extra vitamin K may block its effects.

You want to get to a vet right now who will likely give a vitamin K shot and follow it up with a few weeks worth of vitamin K supplementation.

Don't take a wait and see approach. Bleeding can start up to 3 days later, and once it starts, it is more difficult to treat.

Sorry to hear about the intoxication.
Starting vitmain K now can be life saving therapy.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I buy vitamin K anywhere and give it to them at home?

Hi Thelma, I would not. You need accuracy and 100% confidence you are giving the right product, and that injection to start working now can be very important. Remember, 5 hours has already past, it was 1/2 a block and you have a small breed dog. Meaning, it may have a greater impact. I would get into the vet for 100% certainty on what to get, how much of it, and probably the injection. Many vets will also encourage checking a clotting blood test now as a baseline and rechecking it in 3 days to see if any changes are occurring.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. I am on my way to the Vet

You are very welcome.
Good Luck Thelma.

I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?