Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My male Westie (12 yrs) today presented bloodshot eyes with

My male Westie (12 yrs) today presented bloodshot eyes with lots of white/grey mucus. Recommendations?

FYI, he also has moderate renal disease.

Rebecca : Hello,
Rebecca : I am sorry to hear about your Westie.
Rebecca : My name is Regecca
Rebecca : Sorry!
Rebecca : My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Rebecca : This could be something simple, like an allergic reaction. But, it could also be an early warning of something more serious, such as glaucoma.
Rebecca : I never take chances with eyes. If a client calls and says there is an eye problem, I try to get them to bring the dog in right away. With things like glaucoma, the sooner you begin treatment the better.
Rebecca : Even if it is an allergic reaction, the only effective eyedrops are by prescription.
Rebecca : Until you can get him checked, you can use moist cool compresses to remove the discharge, and help with inflammation.
Rebecca : If his eyes seem to itch or he is rubbing them, Benedryl might help. If he is over 20 pounds, he could take 25 mg 2 to 3 times a day.
Rebecca : I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am writing!
Rebecca : The website just tells me you went offline. I can try to connect with you another way.
I hope you can see what I am saying now! Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I had to step away for a moment.

He is on HYDROXYZINE HCL 25mg every 12 hrs for his skin allergy issues. Has been on it approx 10 days.

Hydroxyzine should help some if this is due to allergies, and you certainly should not use another antihistamine.

Drops with hydrocortisone might help his eyes, but you would need for him to be checked out and get a prescription for him. You cannot get things like that over the counter.

Eye problems should be checked out quickly. He probably has allergies, and not something serious like glaucoma, but it is a good idea to be sure, since they can look the same in the beginning: red eyes with discharge.

Let me know what else I can help you with.

Thank you for the great rating!

How are your Westie's eyes?