Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my dog is 20 lbs and ate at least 1/2 a box of brown sugar

Customer Question

my dog is 20 lbs and ate at least 1/2 a box of brown sugar less than 2 hours ago. Should I give her Hydrogen peroxide to vomit?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

We know she must have eaten the sugar sometime between 11:30 pm and now (1: 53 am)

Hello again Nell and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Sugar is not toxic in any way to dogs so this incident is unlikely to affect your dog too much, in this sort of situation there is nothing you need do. Usually the worst you can expect { If anything } is a mild transient gastro-enteritis from this unaccustomed treat. If this occurs the chance are it will pass on it's own without treatment. In fact many dogs would not show any symptoms or suffer any side effects anyway.

2. Of course the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if any odd symptoms occur or you become further concerned you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. But as I say this would be unlikely.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm mostly concerned about the quantity of sugar she ate - probably less than 16 oz but still quite a bit. My dog is not diabetic, but can it cause her to have too much sugar in her blood and create a diabetic -like coma?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

As long as she is otherwise healthy then this sort of incident should not affect here to much, her body should be able to metabolise this sugar without problem. Consider human infants who is given to chance will consume any amount of sugar.

You have no worried on the diabetes score, diabetic comas are caused by too low blood sugar no high levels. This is a one off incident which should not affect her long term in any way.

Regards,

Scott.
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.

Hello again Nell,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a few days to check on your dog's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

Hello again Nell,

I am just getting back in touch to see how your dog is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is doing well, thank you. We are going to have to increase our walks though because she seems to have added a few pounds since this incident.

Thank you for following up,

Penelope
Hello again,

Thanks very much for the update, I thought she would be fine!

Regards,

Scott