Drug treatment was not considered as an option for him. MMM was discussed although as you mentioned he is not classic because his atrophy is not bilateral and his jaw has not been impacted. The general assumption by the vets is that his body is in recovery mode, although the damage has been done. It appears that the acute phase was missed and that is when the drugs would have been most effective. Would you also agree that treating him now with the drugs you have mentioned would not be effective as the condition has moved from acute to chronic?
Thankyou Dr Gary, I must say that I tend to agree with you, and I am confused as to why the biopsy was not considered an option. Although we are in Australia and the specialist vet, (who is a member of the American Veterinary Association) said that testing for this is only done in the US and it would take 2 to 3 weeks for the results to be returned. Maybe it has something to do with the delay and the disease moving on in that time. Even so, at least then we would then know for sure what his problem is. Cost was no issue for me and the vets here knew that.
Last question if I may. If this is a recurrent episode, as I mentioned I first called the vet 6 weeks ago and his concerning symptoms disappeared in a short time and were not diagnosed as MMM. Without seeing the dog I realize it is probably hard to say, but knowing what I have told you would you consider this latest episode as acute? You have been very helpful, thankyou.
Thanks Gary... your answers have prompted me to seek another opinion and Kaiser is now having further tests and CT scans! Without your advice I may not have continued to push this as I have! I am very happy with the service.