Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Very sick dog

7 year old dachshund : New onset melena New onset hemoptysis Hematocrit Saturday 12 Monday 8, transfused 1 unit whole blood, post transfusion hematocrit 22. Hematocrit Wednesday 11. Tick profile negative Urine negative Blood showed no signs of immune disorders Belly soft, non-tender, appears to be pain free Has not vomited since Saturday evening, only 1 stool with blood since Saturday. Currently taking pepcid, prednisone, doxycycline, sucralfate, and an antiemetic. Weight down from 16.8 to 16.2 since Saturday Tonight he was much more alert and energetic. He even ate well for the first time in a week! Our vet is stumped and thinks he may die in a few days. Any thoughts? Poor intake for solids, drinking well

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

I would also be very worried for your dog. That is significant blood loss. If they ruled out auto-immune disease, then the likely cause is a bleeding tumor or ulcer in the gut. I would do a transfusion and then go in surgically to find out what is bleeding. If there is an ulcer in the stomach that is actively bleeding, then it can be removed surgically. That can be curative.

If this is a bleeding tumor in the small intestine or colon, then again it should be removed. If it's a bleeding tumor in the stomach, we'll often euthanize them on the table as they tend to be aggressive and malignant cancers (gastric adenocarcinoma). If intestinal, then we can sometimes get a surgical cure or surgery followed by chemotherapy can be very helpful.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Charity,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stan. How is everything going?