Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my dog had a stuck to her and i didnt realize till

my dog had a poop stuck to her butt and i didnt realize till she was having a hard time going the bathroom so, i put her in the bath tub and soaked all the poop off and than trimed her hair around the area, but her bum hole appears to be swollen should i be concerned or do you think its just irritated? she isnt in any pain
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for her.
Well, we don't know for sure. If she was greatly straining it is possible that there is some swelling present.

In the meantime, you can apply some topical hydrocortisone cream, which will help the irritation. Even an over the counter product people take called Anusol would work great.

If the swelling is persisting even for 24 hours, this would be well worth getting into a vet tomorrow for greater supportive care.

So, yes, there will always be concern especially if there is observable swelling, but the need for medical care grows if it does not subside quickly.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?