Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog got out last night and I found him today in a neighbors

My dog got out last night and I found him today in a neighbor's well house. He had made himself den in fiberglass in the well hous what can I do to alleviate his itching and remove the fiberglass from his skin.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Cooper. Unfortunately the fiber glass is so tiny that it is near impossible to remove them all on your own so you will have to just wait for his body to kick out the fiberglass that is stuck in his skin. The bath was important to rinse off any of the remaining fiberglass and you may want to repeat tomorrow just to be a 100% sure you got the rest loose particles. Otherwise using Benadryl definitely helps. Give it at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. This is much higher than we take as humans but dogs require more. So make sure you are giving the right dose for dogs that i mentioned above. Finally if you see any specific spots on his skin that are red and irritated you can use hydrocortisone cream twice daily to settle those areas down. You do not want him to lick himself excessively if he is itchy so use a cone (e collar) if necessary to prevent excessive licking. You should see significant improvement in 3 to 4 days. It can take that long for the body to expel any stuck fiberglass particles. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.Thank you!
Hi Cassandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is still a bit on the itchy side I have definitely seen an improvement but not completely, I am continuing to give him benadryl in an effort to completely elminate the itching. It does seem to be improving but it is slow going.

Thank you,

Sounds like a great plan! You are welcome