Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my dog could have eaten a ferrous sulfate pill or two

I think my dog could have eaten a ferrous sulfate pill or two that fell on the floor. The pills are red and I discovered red vomit from her. She is a 10 pound maltipoo. I have been gone all day, so not sure when she vomitted. What should I do?
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. What strength were these pills { 324mg? }

2. What would be the maximum possible number she ate?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. 325 mg ferrous sulfate (65 mg of iron)

2. Two pills I believe

Hello again Ashleigh and thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry to hear about this incident, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is this ... According to the reference source I have : " ingestion can cause severe gastric upset, but lethal doses are not well established in dogs. It can depend on how much food was in their stomach at the time of eating the pill, and also how much they absorb (they may vomit it up, or pass it out in diarrhea). "

2. As your Maltipoo has vomited already then there is little point in inducing vomiting again and the fact she has vomited is a plus point.

3. This drug is used from time to time in the dog but a dose for a dog of your one's weight would be in the order of 100mg.

4. What to do about it? : If you want to be 100% certain you are doing the right thing you should take her to an ER vet without delay for supportive treatment and perhaps the use of activated charcoal. If she vomited early and is otherwise quite bright and happy at present then you may want to sit things out and just observe her but if you then get further concerned you should seek hands on veterinary help without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK! Thanks!

Hello again Ashleigh ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a few days to check on your Maltipoo's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Ashleigh ,

I am just getting back in touch to see how your dog is getting on after the ferrous sulfate pill problem.
How did things go?

Regards,

Scott