Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My dog ate dental floss tonight while I was out about 3 hours

Customer Question

My dog ate dental floss tonight while I was out about 3 hours ago what should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. How long was the piece of dental floss?

2. Is she showing any symptoms at present?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

At a guess I would say 3-4 yards as it was a small sample from the dentist. At closer look there is still thread on the the spool so I am not sure if she just ate the plastic or is she ate the plastic and part of the thread. It belongs to my daughter and she thought that she probably used it 1 or 2 times. the last time Lulu got a hold of dental floss she didn't eat any of it just the plastic, So I would guess that if she did manage to get any off the spool it couldn't be more than a yard or 2. Right now she is just active. I took her for a walk and she did "poop." There wasn't anything in it. I just didn't know if there is anything that I should do to try to get her to vomit or poop some more.

Hello again Peggy and thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. " I just didn't know if there is anything that I should do to try to get her to vomit or poop some more? " : I think the best advice at present is just to sit things out, treat { and feed } her as normal but keep an eye on her over the next three or four days and check to see the stuff has passed.

2. I would have thought that it was possible that an object such as the piece of dental floss and / or any plastic fragments would just pass straight through Lulu's intestinal tract and not cause any problems.

2. However there are no guarantees and very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to dogs swallowing long objects as string or ribbon and this caused intestinal impaction and other intestinal disease. You would be therefor wise to monitor Lulu for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. I think this would be unlikely though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Peggy,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a few days to check on Lulu's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Peggy,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Lulu is getting on after the dental floss incident.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott