Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I have a one year old mini fox terrier. He is fit and healthy

I have a one year old mini fox terrier. He is fit and healthy and has never had a health problem in the past. Yesterday he had very little energy, although he was eating and drinking normally. Today he seems worse - he is even more lethargic and he did not eat his breakfast. He also seems to have a sore back foot. It doesn't appear swollen or anything, but he seems to be having trouble jumping, and it seems to hurt him when he sits back on it. Could this be affecting his energy/mood, or do you think there is more to it than that?

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Hello again Demetra and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Sammy's problem, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Well it could be that what you are seeing is related to pain from some kind of soft tissue injury such as a strain or sprain but it is also possible that Sammy is in the grip of some form of infection or other. So difficult to differentiate over the internet ...

2. Antibiotics or other prescription drugs could be what is needed if your dog is indeed in the grip of an infection, but as I say other diagnosis are also possible.

3. Given the above what you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check Sammy over sooner rather than later. In the meantime all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured.

4. I have known owners give aspirin to dogs while waiting for their vet's appointment when they suspect soft tissue injuries and report success. On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs.

A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Hello again Demetra,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a few days to check Sammy's progress.

Kindest regards,

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Demetra ,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Sammy is getting on.

How are things going at present?