Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a lab, about 65lbs that will be 12 in December. About

Customer Question

I have a lab, about 65lbs that will be 12 in December. About a week ago, I was awakened 2 nights with her shaking. I thought it was anxiety due to a beeping smoking detector needing a new battery; however, I took her in and my vet ran blood and urine. We found indicators of renal disease and a UTI. We started trimethoprim/sulfa 960 mg 2xday and switched to Hills k/d. A couple days later she refused to eat and started getting weak with trouble getting up. She was taken back in and her back x-rayed in thoughts she was in pain in her back. She was prescribed Robaxin 500mg 3xday and Prednisolone 20mg 2xday for 5 days,1xday for 5 days, 1 every other day for remaining days. That was Thursday. She has completely stopped eating her food, but I've been able to get yogurt and some fruit in her yesterday and today but she threw up both days. I picked up Prostora and Pepcid today and gave her 2 Prostora this morning and one tonight and 2 Pepcid, 1 am and 1 pm. I also got her to nibble some royal canin before she threw up. I'm at a loss cause she was fine 2 weeks ago. I did notice she contracts her tummy and stands with her back swayed with her back legs turned out. This appears to me like she is still in so e sort of pain.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Earlena
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about Winnie.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. I am sorry you did not get help before now; I just got up and saw your question about her.

I agree it sounds like she could be in pain. Is she taking any pain medication? Prednisone has anti inflammatory effects, but there are better pain medications.

Is she still taking the trimethoprim/sulfa? It can have some side effects in some dogs, causing autoimmune disease symptoms like rheumatoid arthritis, low platelet counts, etc. If all this started after taking it, I would consider a different antibiotic.

Have any blood tests been done? If not, that would be my next step.

Please let me know what else I can help with, or answer.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Rebecca,

Winnie's blood work and urine was analyzed on the 30th of September, that is when we found the renal disease and the UTI. At first, it appeared that she didn't like the food (Hills k/d) but now I'm thinking it is the Trimethoprim/sulfa that might be causing Winnie's issues. I gave it to her last night and around 2am she was having dry heaves. After receiving your email this morning, I decided that I would stop giving it and see how she feels. She had a Pepcid and Prostora along with 20mg of Prednisolone but threw up about 30 minutes later.

So a couple more questions.

Since we are mixing so many meds, other than the trimethoprim/sulfa (she had it 9 days), could any of the others be causing her to feel so crappy? Should I back off any others to see if I can notice a change?

This morning I noticed she isn't crunching her tummy and it doesn't appear to be as tight as it was. Any chance of something we are missing, like a blockage?

With renal disease, she is supposed to be on low sodium, low protein diet, can I boil a chicken breast and see if she will eat that this evening?

Her blood work showed just slight BUN numbers above the normal and my vet said she is not in kidney failure, but, do you think all these issues are related to kidney failure and not all the meds?

She already has autoimmune issues and your comment on the antibiotic causing issues with this, could that be more common of a reaction? She was diagnosed with Lupus a few years ago.

Thanks for providing me a second oppinion and helping me with my questions.

Earlena

P.S. About 2:30, I got her to eat a boilded chicken breast and at 4pm she's still not shown any signs of wanting to throw it up.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Earlena,
Thanks for that information.

The prednisone could be a problem. It has a lot of side effects, and can affect behavior. I usually treat back pain with nonsteroidal anti inflammatory medication, muscle relaxants, and a pain medication called gabapentin. I usually would not use pred in a dog with kidney disease. I definitely would not give it to a dog that is vomiting.

Usually a dog with an intestinal blockage is not eating, and vomiting a lot.

Trying a boiled chicken breast sounds like a good idea.

Which kind of lupus does she have? I would avoid trimeth/sulfa in a dog with autoimmune disease, yes.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Rebecca! You have no idea how much this helps me!

Since she threw up everything this morning, I've not given her any meds. Other than being really weak, she has been up and around some and not thrown up after eating her chicken. I've got another one thawing and will give that to her tonight if she seems to keep this one down. I also tried yogurt and she wouldn't touch it.

I did, however, love on her about an hour ago and she jumped when I rubbed her belly. I'm not so sure the issue is her back, but might be that her tummy hurts. My vet mentioned that when dogs have pain in their back they typically stand with their back up, she is doing the opposite, she stands with her back swayed. Any thought on this?

She has not done any shaking today either and has wagged her tail, even though she is carrying her tail low, when she is up. I think the chicken has really helped in giving her some strength.

Since I need to taper off the Prednisolone, should I skip tomorrow and just give it to her Friday (every other day) if she isn't vomiting? The kidney issue was just discovered on the blood work two weeks ago, but I'm a little concerned she was prescribed 20mg Prednisolone after that.

The lupus she has showed up as a very crusty nose. She was on 2.5mg of Prednisolone every other day for sometime which I stopped when I went to the 20mg dose.

I use Prednisolone vs. Prednisone. Does this make any difference?

Thanks,

Earlena

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I am glad this is helpful!

Prednisolone is the active form of prednisone. They are interchangeable.

I would not judge back pain by how they stand. Tense back muscles, and sometimes tense abdominal muscles can be seen with back pain.

Glad to hear she is keeping the chicken down.

You should gradually taper the pred: give half a dose for a few days, then every other day a few times.

The lupus that only affects the nose, discoid lupus, responds well to oral doxycycline, or topical tacrolimus.

Let me know what more I can do for you. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the great rating!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Rebecca! You've really eased my mind during this stressful time. I'm hoping my sweet baby pulls through this and I'm just dealing with a temporary setback in her health.

Earlena

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
I hope so, too. Thank you so much for the bonus; much appreciated.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Earlena,
How is Winnie doing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Rebecca, I had to let her go today. I took her in on Thursday and her blood work showed her in kidney failure. We tried 48 hours on fluids and she didn't respond. I found online Systemic Lupus is known to attack kidneys as well as what happened so fast this past week. My Vet said based on the blood work and what we had ruled out, it was a possible diagnoses but can't be verified. Winnie changed my life in my years I was blessed to be her mommy. I will forever love her!

Earlena
Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.
Earlena,
I am so sorry to hear about your dear Winnie. You have my sincere condolences, and are in my thoughts.