Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I didnt realise I could have a chat with you and respond to

Customer Question

I didn't realise I could have a chat with you and respond to what you were writing!

So, get a second opinion before I start the process of ear washouts every 4-6 weeks? Ask for systemic as well as topical steroids? And the same, systemic and topical antibiotics? Can Darcy have the steroids and antibiotics concurrently? With a 4 hour gap in-between?

Why did my vet not tell me all the above? Instead, frightening me by saying that as a last resort, the ear would need to be amputated????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Rebecca :

Yes, we can chat!

Rebecca :

Before I committed to regular ear washings under GA, I would get a second opinion, with a specialist if you can.

Customer:

Hi

Rebecca :

If the ear drum is intact, I would try topical drops for reducing inflammation ( I like one called Synotic; don't know if you have that in the UK. )

Rebecca :

And topical antibiotics effective against Pseudomonas, like enrofloxacin drops.

Rebecca :

She can have concurrent steroids and antibiotics.

Customer:

How do I find a canine ear specialist? Added to this, we are moving 300miles away in about 10days.

Rebecca :

You can ask for a referral for a veterinary dermatologist.

Rebecca :

There are no veterinary ear specialists that I know of, but a dermatologist would usually treat ear problems.

Customer:

I as my present vet for this information? Or should I wait and ask my new vet once we have moved house?

Rebecca :

Your new vet may be best able to recommend the closest specialist.

Customer:

I already phoned them and have Darcy booked in to see them on the 22nd this month

Rebecca :

But even a fresh opinion by your new vet would be a good place to start.

Rebecca :

Great!

Rebecca :

You are a very proactive dog owner! Already a new vet before you move!

Customer:

I have Darcy booked in for her first ear washout this Thursday

Customer:

Should I cancel it?

Rebecca :

A good cleaning under anesthesia is a good idea. But, waiting to get the opinion of your new vet might be worth waiting for.

Rebecca :

If you have medication to treat her until the 22nd.

Customer:

Because my present vet scared me, I was always going to get a second opinion

Rebecca :

Then start there. Don't have a vet that scares you treat your dog!

Customer:

And now with you, that's a 3rd opinion as well

Rebecca :

I could be of more help, if I could see the ear, and use an otoscope.

Rebecca :

I just know there is no just one way to treat her.

Rebecca :

You know what YAHOO stands for, where the search engine came up with the name? You Always Have Other Options.

Customer:

I have oral antibiotics for Darcy for 10 days, started yesterday evenig

Rebecca :

Do you have topical antibiotics, and anti inflammatory medication?

Rebecca :

I just don't see oral medication getting into the ear well.

Customer:

The antibiotics are called Baytril = 50mg Enrofloxacin

Customer:

nothing topical was given to me, or even offered!

Rebecca :

That is good for Pseudomona.

Rebecca :

Better to use Baytril Otic. It has enrofloxacin, as well as anti inflammatory medication and silver.

Rebecca :

But, if the ear canal is swollen shut or the ear drum is not intact, it may not be best.

Rebecca :

You definitely need something for inflammation. Infected ears are always inflamed, and usually ear infections are secondary to another problem like allergies.

Customer:

Vet said the strength of topical antibiotics that was needed to fight the pseudomonas would be toxic to Darcy's inner ear

Rebecca :

Darcy should be tested for hypothryoidism as well.

Rebecca :

But oral antibiotics get into the blood stream, and the ear canal is not really infused by a blood supply.

Rebecca :

Just my opinion.

Customer:

I know! I'm a qualified nurse and I work in the Operating department/Recovery Room of the local hospital

Rebecca :

I would treat the ear as directed, ask for topical anti inflammatory and/or oral medication, and get the second opinion before putting her under anesthesia.

Rebecca :

Just my opinion.

Customer:

My vet did look into her ear canal but didn't say anything about it being stenosed, rendering it unable to be used for getting the antibiotics in

Rebecca :

If the ear canal is not stenotic, and the ear drum is intact, I would be using topical medication before going to something as expensive as oral Baytril, myself.

Customer:

OK. Shall I keep her on the oral Baytril and ask my new vet what he thinks? Or should I ask him for the topical steroids and antibiotics, if her ear canal can manage them?

Rebecca :

I would ask about topical medication, to use until you move and get established with the new vet. Explain you do not want the GA procedure before you more.

Rebecca :

If he won't give you the topical meds, at least ask for pain/ anti inflammatory medication.

Customer:

OK, I will call then tomorrow nd tell then just that and ask for the topical steroids and antibiotics

Customer:

ok, I will do that.

Rebecca :

Good luck with your new vet.

Customer:

Do I also continue with her oral Baytril?

Rebecca :

I would, if you have started it.

Customer:

ok, I will do all that you have suggested

Customer:

Darcy and I Thank you so very much for your help

Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back with you to see how it is going.

Customer:

You have really put my mind at rest

Rebecca :

I am so glad to hear that1

Customer:

Thanks again! Jane and Darcy xxxx

Rebecca :

You are welcome.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Thank you again for the excellent rating!

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the bonus! Much appreciated!