Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

We found a Labrador puppy a few days ago. He was playing eating

We found a Labrador puppy a few days ago. He was playing eating and drinking fine. Yesterday he didn't want to eat or drink and it seems like he's weak. He's just laying there. We took him to walk yesterday and throw up white stuff with like pieces of grass. My niece thinks it's Parvo. What can it be? :(

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Do you have any idea how old Rocky is?

Dr. Scarlett :

Parvo is certainly a concern with puppies and causes a lot of watery diarrhea and vomiting. These pups are really sick--lethargic, dehydrated, etc.

Dr. Scarlett :

But other concerns include intestinal worms (virtually all puppies are born with roundworms and they can be infected with other worms), coccidia, or Giardia (both are intestinal parasites). Worms can cause vomiting and soft stool and prevent the puppy from absorbing sufficient nutrients from the intestine.

Customer:

Hello!!

Dr. Scarlett :

Pepto isn't the best medication for an upset stomach, especially in puppies, as it contains an aspirin compound. It is possible to give too much and cause ulcers in the stomach.

Customer:

I have no idea how old he is. One of my neighbors that loves dogs says he's probably like 3 or 4 months old

Customer:

He also has a lot of eye boogers that he didn't before.

Dr. Scarlett :

Truly the best thing you can do for Rocky is get him in to a vet today. Take a fresh stool sample, if you have one, so they can check for parasites. Eye discharge along with GI signs can also indicate distemper or just that he isn't feeling well.

Dr. Scarlett :

If he was just wandering the streets, there are a lot of things he can be exposed to that can cause him to feel poorly. A vet will be able to get a diagnosis and get him appropriate treatment.

Customer:

Is there anything I can do for him in the mean time?

Dr. Scarlett :

Water is good, keep him warm, offer him some canned food if he is able to keep it down. And call a vet while you are waiting!

Customer:

Thank You soo much!! Hopefully we can have back to normal! He's our first Puppy!!

Dr. Scarlett :

I hope he feels better soon, too! Be sure to tell the vet he's your first puppy so you can get lots of advice and information about puppy behavior! There is a lot to know and learn, but well worth it!

Customer:

Yes I will surely ask many questions!! Thank You!!

Customer:

I have one more question! Is Parvo curable?

Dr. Scarlett :

Parvo is certainly treatable and curable, if treatment is started quickly.

Customer:

OK thank You!