How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18815
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

omg I just gave my 18lb frenchie 1ml of liquid Benadryl did

This answer was rated:

omg I just gave my 18lb frenchie 1ml of liquid Benadryl did I over do it?
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Benadryl liquid is usually 12.5mg per 5ml, so that should work out to 2.5 mg in 1 ml. Since benadryl can be given at a dosage of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours in dogs, then you have not overdosed your dog. Check the bottle because there is one kind that is only 6.25 mg per 5 ml but it is more likey you have the first one. So to adequately dose your dog with benadryl you would want to give a little over 7.2 ml. Since you can go as high as 2mg per pound, you could round up to the next ml safely.
You can read more on benadryl here:
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank goodness but theres another issue he has a heart condition Tetralogy of fallotis . He has developed a bad and itchy skin scabbing problem and very watery and puss filled eyes I took him to the vets several times but the baths aren't helping so I wanted to try the Benadryl to see if it would help.

Benadryl is typically used to help with allergic reaction. It is generally considered safe for use in dogs. However, since he has a heart condition and is under the care of your vet, you should talk to your vet about any potention side effects of using the benadryl and possible interactions with any other medication he may be on.
For most dogs with skin dermatitis as the result of allergies, benadryl might be used along with possible antibiotics and shampoos. However, if the skin conditions present are not the result of an allergy, then the benadryl wil have limited effect. Mange mites can also cause itchy, scabby skin as well as eye infection. Treating without knowing the underlying cause only delays proper treatment. In some cases, like mange mites, it can take multiple dips every so many weeks over an extended period of time to stop the problem.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My vet said its not mange or fleas ,he really doesn't know whats causing it we even tried antibiotics but no luck . he is not taking any other meds right now

I would suggest going ahead and getting allergy testing done. It will help you determine if indeed it is allergy related. If you know the allergen (trigger) , then it can either be avoided (in the case of food or cleaning supplies) or desensitizing shots can be given or things such as pollens, etc. Read about these things here:
If there is still not real improvement with an antihistimine, you might ask your vet about atopica if it is allergy related.
Jane Lefler and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions