Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

Hi Ann We have a 13 year old Staffordshire terrier over

Hi Ann
We have a 13 year old Staffordshire bull terrier over the last 2 months her back legs give way and she finds it hard to stand first thing in the morning she stays in her basket most of today. We have taken Zoe to the vets we have had injections it's a new drug for her joints it seemed to work very well for the first 4 weeks but then she went back to the legs giving way and she dragging then until she gets them upright again in a fastion. I'm thinking of putting her to sleep after a great 13 years it's distressing seeing her struggle when the legs go from under her.
Your advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

This sounds like a severe problem. I am assuming that you have tried anti-inflammatory medications and pain medications already. The only other thing that I would recommend that you might not have tried so far is laser treatments. Laser treatments can help with increased blood flow to the area, increased lymphatic drainage, pain relief, and natural anti-inflammatory effects. If your veterinarian does not have a laser, he or she may be able to refer you to someone in your area who does have one. I am typically a "quality of life over quantity of life" veterinarian, though, and sometimes at this stage I do not feel that we should do heroics to try to extend a dog's life if they are in pain or cannot get around. If this were my dog, I would definitely be considering humane euthanasia. If you wanted to try laser treatments first, I think that might be a good last ditch effort. I know this is a very difficult thing to have to deal with, and I am so sorry that you're having to make these end-of-life decisions for your dog. Just based on everything that you have already done for your dog, I can tell that you are a very caring and compassionate owner, and I know that you will come to the right decision.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.