Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my dog scratches and because she itches this cause a rash

my dog scratches and because she itches this cause a rash and sore on her skin under the hair . we taken her to the vet they gave us antobotics cephalexin 750mg twice a day for 14 days and cream quardritop ointment,and predinson she was all right for about a month but now she beginning to scratch and itch again this start with her licking on her paw and hinges leg the sore starts to bleed from all of the scratching.

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions....

Has she been itchy off and on in her life or is this new?

Did they do any blood work on her?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

off and on for about 2 years,no blood was did on her.

Thanks for the additional information Laverne. I really appreciate it.

At this point, I think the best thing to do is to have your vet do some blood work on her...specifically a thyroid panel.

There are many diseases that can cause an older dog to develop skin issues, and since the medication they had her on only worked temporarily, I strongly suspect we're going to find the problem with her thyroid.

Once they test that, then they'll be able to get her on medication to regulate it, and the itching should stop.

I hope thes helps.