petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

I have a 5 year old Boston Terrier with many severe allergies

I have a 5 year old Boston Terrier with many severe allergies and bad knees, also inflammitory bowel. Yesterday she was being her usual hyper self and playing and injured herself, enough to yelp. We are quite sure she hurt one of her knees. This morning she seems lethargic and was shivering. I gave her her morning meds. I also felt she may be in pain and gave her a dose of Tramadol which my vet prescribed after the last incident she had. She is eating and drinking, but still does not seem herself. I have an appointment tomorrow with the vet for her physical and vaccinations. My question to you is could this be an emergency, should she be seen today, or do you think it can wait till tomorrow?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

Poor girl. It does indeed sound like she injured herself and is experiencing some degree of discomfort. Pain can be difficult to judge as some dogs are more stoic than others and just because she is still eating and drinking, does mean she doesn't hurt. I think you are very perceptive to pick up on her changes in disposition.

If your vet can get her in for an exam today, that would be best. Primarily to perhaps offer more to ease her discomfort as tramadol by itself is not the most potent pain medication and pain relieving effects are often improved by using in combination with other medications. On top of that, if the injury was perhaps in her spine (as in a bulging or ruptured disc), it can lead to symptoms as you describe. These are always best evaluated sooner versus later because the symptoms have the potential to worsen and can be an indicator of further spinal cord swelling which needs to be addressed swiftly. Many of these discs dogs will only experience pain, but they should be evaluated for any loss of nerve reflexes which can be more serious a problem. Hopefully, her injury is only in one of her hindlegs as you suspect, but if you can have her examined today, that would be better than waiting until tomorrow.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back with additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.

I will be following up tomorrow to see you your girl is doing. Hopefully she will be more comfortable.

Dr Z
Hello Ann,

I was just wondering how things were going today. I hope our patient is feeling better and is more comfortable.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can address.

Dr Z