Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hey my 4.5 month old shiba inu is having stomach problems.

Hey my 4.5 month old shiba inu is having stomach problems. about a week ago we took her to the vet for uncontrolled urination and diarrhea. They found nothing in her stool sample but gave her pills to treat the symptoms. Now that she is through with them she's having the same problem but much worse! She peed and had diarrhea in her crate twice last night! I took her out eat time but she couldn't go then.

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

So she didn't have any diarrhea when she was on the pills?

How long was she on the medication?

Is the diarrhea yellow?

Have you changed her diet at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About a week, it was for diarrhea, and another pill for her uncontrolled urination. Her diarrhea is a normal color but uncontrolled. She has no discomfort when I touch/ squeeze her abdomen. Her diet has been the same since we got her, but each time the symptoms happened said she became more irritable and vocal.

THanks for the extra information. I really appreciate it. I have a couple more questions...

Did you get her from a breeder?

If you did...did they mention any problems with things like irritable bowel syndrome in their lines?

Did you fast her at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She was from a pet store, but she came with papers from a breeder. No mention was made in her health records.
Thanks so much for the extra information. I really appreciate it.

Since her diarrhea came right back after she stopped the medication, I feel that she's going to need to be on a longer course. Sometimes dogs get these disgestive upsets and just a week of medication may not be enough to get it completely cleared up.

If this were my little Shiba...I'd give my vet a call when they open and ask them about sending out a longer run of the medication. 2-3 weeks maybe. You can also ask if they tested her stool only for worms, or if they tested for giardia/coccidia as well. These second two (giardia/coccidia) are what we call 'midget parasites' and aren't easily seen on a regular fecal test.

You could also talk to your vet about switching her diet to a bland diet for a little while. Taking a dog off regular dog food and feeding them a bland diet of boiled white rice/boiled hamburger/chicken, cottage cheese might help with the diarrhea and adding a little yogurt may help with rebuilding the good bacteria in her stomach, which will help with the diarrhea.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?