Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Today my dog (saint Bernard) went to hop up one step and he

Customer Question

Today my dog (saint Bernard) went to hop up one step and he either hit his left leg on the step or hit both. He now is in pain and all he can do is sit and scoot around. I'm assuming either his hip or back leg is dislocated or broken. Any way to comfort him tonight. Also tips on helping him use the restroom. We are taking him to the vet ASAP!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am sorry to hear about Arthur and his accident. To help him use the bathroom you can use a large towel or a twin bed sheet and roll it into a sling and place under the abdomen to support him to use the bathroom. You will also need to do this to help him up and down. Right now the amount of Aspirin you have given him is fine. Normally 2 Adult Aspirin is recommended for a dog 100 pounds and over. The key to keep him comfortable is to keep him still and not moving unless he has to use the bathroom. The least amount of movement, including keeping him from scooting is very important. Check for swwelling in the legs and in the hip area. If there is swelling, you can use ice packs 8-10 mins on and 20 mins off. You will need to let your Vet know that he has had Aspirin tonight, since there may be a contraindication with pain medication they will want to administer. If the pain and discomfort gets worse, I do suggest he see an ER Vet where they can do some X rays and give some pain medication for comfort. This is a hard situation since Arthur is so big, and even suggesting benedryl to keep him quiet for the evening would take (6) 25mg Plain Benedryl. It would not stop the pain, but it would make him sleepy and this may allow him to rest. I would not give any food or water after midnight in case they have to use anesthesia to do the X rays or to treat his injuries. Please let me know if you need any clarification on the information or I can answer further questions. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

This will give you an idea on how to use the sheet or the extra large towel for support to help Arthur up and to use the bathroom: http://petworkmarketplace.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dogbellysling.jpg Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

He is trying to get up a lot. So if I give him six 25mg Benadryl he should sleep? and all I have is Allergy Tablets that compare to the active ingredient in Benadryl Allergy Ultratab. Will that be fine?

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

I would not suggest giving him the Ultra Tab unless we know they are safe. Some of the medications have a decongestant. We want to use Plain Benedryl. If the medication is Plain Diphenhyrdamine, 25mgs. That is what we can use. Walmart is open 24 hours a day if you need to find some in a hurry. Can you tell me the ingredients and information on the Uktra Tabs you have. I will see if it can be used. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

This is what the box should say:

Ingredients
Active Ingredient (in each tablet):

Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg

If this is what it says we will be ok with this and it should calm him down some.

Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It says Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg (and below that) Antihistamine. Will that be fine.

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

Yes, That should be fine. We give it at 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight, but I do not want to go too heavy, so (6 pills) would be 150mgs and should just calm him and allow him to rest. I would keep him in a confined area if possible. Less room to move around. With smaller dogs we usually use a crate, but with Arthur, he would need a small room to confine his movements.

Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you so much! I sure he will still try to move around cause he is always moving! Again Thank you so much for your info.

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

I will check back in on Arthur in a day or two to see what the Vet said and what was needed for treatment. Give him some scratches for me. Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The Vet gave us Novox 100 mg. Said it looks like he was favoring his right back leg and he just hurt that leg so now he has really no favorite back leg. They did do a blood test while there and all organs etc are great! She said wait for this medicine to work tonight. If it doesn't we will have to talk as a family and decide what is best.

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

Glad he has seen the Vet and they were able to give him something stronger for the pain. I hope Arthur starts feeling better. I have scheduled a follow-up for the 8th to see how he is doing. Keeping him in my prayers. Thank-you for the update! Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.
I wanted to check in and see how Arthur is feeling. I hope he is doing better that the Vet was able to make him more comfortable.
Joan