Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma a month ago. He

My dog was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma a month ago. He has a splenectomy due to internal bleeding, the biopsy results were hemangiosarcoma with slow cell division rate. He is a 95 pound dog, in great physical condition at the time of surgery. He had massive blood loss but has recovered from a red blood count of 31 to 40+ over the last month. His normal red count is around 48. On Thursday he nearly collapsed, his gums are pink with good recharge, he is not eating his Orijen food since Thursday evening unless it is mixed with cottage cheese, salmon or other 'good stuff'. We have started supplementing with high iron things like raw beef liver, boiled hamburger... He is also eating sardines, cooked potatoes, cooked carrots, minimal cottage cheese and some wild caught salmon. He gets up twice a day to go out and potty, but he really seems to have lot of pain pooping. His stool is firm, normal color. No blood in his urine. He is drinking water minimally but is not terribly dehydrated as we are giving high moisture content foods. He is taking Rimadyl and tramadol for pain but has been alert, bright eyed most of the time with some tail wagging. He at other times is seeming very anxious and has a worried expression which is also typical when he is bored... Not sure what to do he acts like he's afraid to move too much because of the possible pain.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

HOw long ago was his surgery?

Is his incision completely healed at this point?

You said he seems to be painful when he defecates...does he do a lot of straining?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

His Surgery was September 3rd of this year. External incision completely healed. He only seems to want to give it one go and poops a small amount of very firm feces.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since the surgery was a month ago and his incision is completely healed, I don't think it's the surgery site that is causing the issue.

From your description of the feces and how he acts when it's time to go to the bathroom, I suspect that his stool is just a bit too firm for him at this point.

If this were me, I'd add a little canned pumpkin (the plain pumpkin...NOT pumpkin pie filling) for the next couple days. A dog his size could have 1/3 cup with each meal. Usually just a day worth is enough to get things moving in the right direction.

I suspect once we get his stool a bit softer he'll be having an easier time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the hard stools could be causing him so much discomfort he does not want to walk and gets really weak after trying to go to the bathroom? He is dreading pooping and almost refusing despite his gas...

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely. Imagine being really constipated yourself...it hurts to walk...it hurts to move...and even though you know you need to defecate, it's painful to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hum... I knew the canned pumpkin thing, more worried about the cancer, internal healing process from the 3 additional layers of sutures, possibility of infection... He has pooped once a day it just hasn't been a lot and had no issue with constipation on the initial day when he nearly collapsed. His attitude has improved, and he has more bounce in general just does not want to move much.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I think he's probably a bit sore internally still...however, without any other signs, I don't know if I'd immediately think infection...however, if you were to take his temp, that would be a good indicator. Infection ALWAYS comes with a fever, so if you take his temp and it's normal, then we're not dealing with infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I'll look at his temperature. We've been trying to make the tough decision, but having a hard time as long as he is eating, alert and tail wagging just so scared of him having pain. He saw the Vet Wednesday and she said he looked good just some inflammation internally from the internal healing process. His nose and ears are also a bit runny my partner pointed out to me. It's Sunday and no chance of getting our vet until morning...

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I think that the temp is a great place to start Jessica.

Sadly, abdominal surgeries are a tough heal, so hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification