Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Hello, My dog Oz is a standard poodle puppy about 19 weeks

Hello, My dog Oz is a standard poodle puppy about 19 weeks old and weighs a little over 40 lbs already.

He started itching a couple of days ago and he has managed scratch himself raw between his shoulder blades. I treated the area with Vetericyn last night and it seem to be drying out now but, he is still itching some... I do have some 10mg Loratadine that i take is it safe to give 1 tablet to him? How many times a day?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. Dr Fiona is no longer online. I would be happy to assist you if you would agree. Please let me know. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my response?

I did not receive your response, but will give you an answer. The Loratadine is not very effective to control the itching in Dogs. We can use another over the counter Antihistamine called Benedryl. It is given at 1 mg per pound of body weight. The Plain Benedryl comes in two adult forms:25 mg Capsule and tablet. In this case I would give 3/4 of a Plain Benedryl Tablet form every 8-12 hours for the itching. You can also apply some Hydrocortisone cream to the area to help with the itching. There is a leave in conditioner that can be purchased called Resicort that is excellent when something like this happens: http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/resicort-leave-on-lotion

Please let me know if you need further clarification or have more questions about this issue. The Benedryl should make OZ feel better and the Resicort should help. If he seems to be getting dry, you may want to put him on an Omega 3 supplement for dogs: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1060. This will help with the dryness and itching as well. Joan

I need to re write the dosage on the Benedryl, it should be 1 and 3/4 tablets at 25 mgs each.(Sorry, my keybord gave me a problem) Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received another text and could not figure out why... now I see your second message thank you Joan :)

Can I help you with any other questions, it would be my pleasure to assist you about this problem ? My goal is to give you and OZ Excellent Service and to have you give a positive rating for that service. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help Excellent help Joan :)

Thank-you! I hope Oz feels better very soon! he may be drowsy from the Benedryl, but that will be normal!. Joan

Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oz. How is everything going?

Joan