Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 2 labs got into some rotten apples last night. I have no

My 2 labs got into some rotten apples last night. I have no idea how many they ate or how rotten they were. One of my dogs came home a bit tipsy. Neither vomited or had diarreha. They are eating normal and drinking. Just not feeling so hot. Are they okay?

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

The biggest concern that we get when dogs eat things like rotting apples is ethanol poisoning. The apples are fermented, which results in the dogs acting like they're drunk..just like either Hunter or Chrome did last night.

We worry the most if the dogs get tipsy, but then have things like changes in respirations (either super fast breathing or super slow), uncoordination, vomiting or/and diarrhea or seizures.

You can read more about it here:

Since neither of your boys are showing any of those symptoms, and becuase it's been several hours since they ate the apples, I think it's okay to watch them at this point. If you notice any of the symptoms I listed, or if either of them act like they're getting drunk again, then you absolutely have to have them seen by a vet immediately.

And I'm sure you've already done this, but make sure to clean up or keep your dogs away from those apples at this point. Just becuase they got away lucky this time, doesn't mean they always will, so limiting contact is the best plan.

I hope this helps.