Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

My Cairn terrier just got in a fight with a raccoon, He has

My Cairn terrier just got in a fight with a raccoon, He has a few puncture wounds in his foot and tummy. Is there something I can give him to stave off any infection?

Hi Cindy, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm so sorry that your dog has this encounter with a raccoon.

Hopefully, he is current on his rabies vaccine so this is one less concern. If he is current, then I might consider a booster shot just to be safe.

I usually recommend over the counter dilute betadine or iodine (diluted to the color of weak tea) as a cleaning agent since it has anti-bacterial properties. Anything with cholohexiderm in the label can also be used.
Then I let the area dry and apply over the counter topical antibiotic ointment/cream such as you or I would use on a wound. I clean and use the ointment twice a day.
I don't cover the wounds unless they are severe.

A cone may be necessary to prevent ingestion of the ointment which won't be harmful but wont be absorbed.

If the wounds aren't very deep, then he may not need systemic antibiotics and should heal just fine.

I hope this helps. Deb

Thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with your boy. I hope you'll keep me posted about his situation. Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards and good luck, Deb