Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I took my 9 year old Boston Terrier to the vet Thursday for

I took my 9 year old Boston Terrier to the vet Thursday for not eating and throwing up. He did blood work and the only things he could find was that her BUN and Creatine were high. Any how he also did radiographics and nothing was out of place there either. He prescribed Cefa-drops , Reglan, 1/2 Zantac twice daily and Mylanta as needed but I couldn't get her to eat anything ...however she did drink water. All day Friday she took her meds and ate a spoonful of chicken and rice around lunch time....Friday at supper she took her meds andd ate some cream potatoes and chicken....she kept all of this down Friday. As for Saturday I finally did see her drinking but she has not eaten anything at all today.She did take her meds and was fine til about 9pm when she threw up some yellow mucus looking all she's doing is laying on her pad all sad. My family is very upset and we don't know whatelse to do...please help....Allissa
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Harley.
Clearly, she is not feeling well still, and that there may still be a undiagnosed primary problem.

Now, if the BUN was high it depends how high. If over 70's, as urea builds up in the body it can cause stomach problems from uremic ulcers.

But, it really depends how high the BUN has gotten!

Also, there are some far better medications then your vet has prescribed. If he does not have them, definitely consult a new vet ASAP.

1. Cerenia. A once a day anti-vomiting/nausea medication that is amazing. Lasts 24 hours. Very effective with stomach distress.

2. I would consider switching from the antacid zantac to using prilosec (omeprazole). It is one of the strongest antacids we use in pets. Pepcid A.C. is my second favorite.

Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg

What else?
Well, if there is no obvious suggestion of infection as the vet about stopping the cefa drops. No different than any other antibiotic, and just like antibiotics in us, they can sometimes contribute to stomach distress.

She may also greatly benefit from being on some intravenous fluids for a day or two.

I would not give the cream potatoes anymore. They may be willing to eat it, but could be hard on the stomach.

Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including
Science Diet I/D
*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

What about other tests?
I would have to think a abdominal ultrasound could be very informative.
Abdominal Ultrasound in Dogs

if not drinking that much, you could try offering either gatorade, pedialyte, or even adding some canned tuna juice to the water (change frequently).

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Allissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?