Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience
21393945

my multipoo suddenly developed irritated eyes, squinting and

my multipoo suddenly developed irritated eyes, squinting and scratching at them. We washed them with water but no difference. Could this be allergic reaction or poisonous substance. What should I do? Whites of eyes are somewhat red and is blinking.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. The irritation could be something as simple as allergies. It is not uncommon for allergies to only show up in the eyes with redness, increased drainage, etc. In some cases, you may see a benefit to using Benedryl (diphenhydramine) at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice daily. This could lower the hypersensitivity and help with the eyes.
Another concern is dry eye. The smash faced breeds can be prone to lack of tear production. This this occurs you can see redness in the eyes, crusting, blinking, etc. Your vet would before a simple test to ensure enough tears are being produced.
Glaucoma has to be a concern as well. This is an increase in pressure from within the eye. When dogs have acute glaucoma, they tend to be light sensitive, lethargic, squint, and can appear to lose some if no all of their vision. Vision loss is from the increased pressure essentially crushing the tissue of the retina.
Corneal ulcers are also possible, but it would unusual for a dog to acutely have them in both eyes, especially without a history of them in the past.
I would continue to flush the eyes with a sterile saline eye solution (typically available at most pharmacies). You could continue to put a drop of the solution every few minutes to lubricate the eyes (over the counter artificial tears would be better, but I understand they may not be readily available).
The Benedryl could also help, but I would not expect dramatic results.
If you feel he is at all light sensitive, depressed and may not be seeing normally, I would seek more immediate veterinary attention. Certainly, continued pawing at the eyes is a sign of discomfort and seeking veterinary attention can help with relief as there is no good home remedy for this. Getting the pressures of the eyes check will rule in/out glaucoma which is important at this stage because of the possibility of vision loss.

The other issues can probably wait for a more tradition veterinary visit.

I hope this helps and gives you direction.
thanks
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it is an irritant or injury and it is minor, would it resolve itself in 24 hours? If it continues, at what point in time would is it wise to take him in to rule out a more serious eye injury?

If there is something foreign in the eye, continued flushing and time will do the job in most cases. If he is not improving in the next 12-24 hours, can't get comfortable, worsens, or seems to have any visual deficits, seek immediate veterinary attention. Keep in mind, most eye issues are not life threatening, but they can be vision threatening.
The unfortunate part with biscuits situation is that I would love to know what kind of pressure he has in his eyes. I doubt he has glaucoma, but I would hate to be wrong and come Monday he has vision issues. Some of these other issues (excluding some form of ulcers) are typically not things that require a ER vet.
So, continue to flush the eyes and watch for dialated pupils, increased pain or discomfort, and lethargy. Those are the signs that this could be more serious.
I hope this helps
jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience
Have Biscuits eyes cleared up?