Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

If there has been a lapse of giving your 3 and 8 year old dog

If there has been a lapse of giving your 3 and 8 year old dog their Sentinel, do they need to have a blood test to ensure that it is fine for them to go back on it. It has been about 4 months since they had their last dosages?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for them.
Great question, that vets will differ on answering quite a bit.

Some vets would recommend a heartworm test after missing just 1 month.
Some vets, including me, draw the line at about 3 months. But, 4 months is really pushing safety.

I would encourage recheck heartworm testing based on the duration of 4 months.

I think its the safest course of action. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.