Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My nine year old golden retriever swallowed part of a raw hide

My nine year old golden retriever swallowed part of a raw hide bone and then tried to throw it up. She had a very difficult time trying to throw it up. Eventually she threw up some liquid white stuff. No raw hide. She seems exhausted from throwing up and layed down in the yard. I stayed with her and massaged her throat and her whole body for about 15 minutes to relax. She finally would get up and come into the house. She went directly to her bed and is lying down. Is there any thing I can give her to help digest the raw hide?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

.

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

This is one reason why we do not recommend that owners give their dogs rawhides. Sometimes too large of a piece will break off and be swallowed whole. Often the piece might scratch the throat going down and trigger gagging and even a release of bile in the stomach which I suspect is the white stuff that she vomited up.

.

The real issue is if the rawhide causes an intestinal blockage or whether it soften enough to pass through her system. Symptoms of a blockage would include vomiting, an inability to defecate once what is in the system is cleared, possible loss of appetite to name just a few. You also need to monitor her closely. Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure it passes through your dog's system. Here is a site that discusses intestinal obstructions.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

.

Now you could call your vet and see if he would be willing to try and retrieve the rawhide piece while it is still known to be in the stomach. However, often some vets will decide to wait a few days to see if the rawhide will soften and pass through the system even if a dog is displaying symptoms of an obstruction. At that point, you will need to make a decision on whether you want to wait and see if it softens and move through or if surgery to remove the obstruction should be done. The problem with waiting is that the longer the obstruction is present, the more damage is done to the intestines which might require that portion to be removed during surgery.

.

I know this is probably a bit scary, but i do want you to have all the possible information about this. In many cases, the rawhide softens and moves through especially in larger dogs like yours. So I would let her drink since that wil help soften the raw hide. You might try some Pepto Bismol at 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds but that might be a log of pepto. It might help coat the throat and help if there is some irritation from the rawhide going down. If she wasn't able to vomit it up already, I don't see trying to get her to vomit especially if the rawhide edges might be sharp and irritate the throat even more.

.

So your options at this point are to call your vet and see if he would want to try retrieving it before any problems could occur, or monitor her closely for a few days to see if any symptoms develop to indicate intestinal obstruction or adverse reaction to the ingestion.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Hi Gail,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pieper. How is everything going?