Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I applied Frontline Plus to all four of my dogs 3 days ago,

I applied Frontline Plus to all four of my dogs 3 days ago, but they still have fleas. Does frontline have an expiration date?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Generally, no.
But, if you search the internet, many concerns/complaints that Frontline is not working with some fleas.

Also!
If there are multiple pets with fleas, you can be guaranteed that the home environment has a ton of eggs!

Remember, no oral or topical flea control product prevents fleas from biting. So, as more and more fleas hatch in the environment, they will still hop on to your pets.

So, environmental treatment and using a different flea control may be necessary.

- Regular vacuuming of the home can help to reduce the number of eggs and larvae in the carpet
- You should vacuum at least every 2 weeks
- Ensure you are using a “quality” topical flea control product every month. I would stick with a product from your veterinarian. Also, with really bad flea problems, it is often advised to apply every 3 weeks, not 4 weeks.
- To treat the home, you can hire a professional company to bomb (flea foggers) the house. This is often advantageous because they frequently offer a guarantee. Otherwise, you will need to go into a home improvement store and purchase all the appropriate foggers and carpet powders. Remember, one fogger is not good for a whole floor. It is only good for the room size it indicates on the bottle.

Also, since Frontline was recently applied, you may want to ask your vet about getting some doses for each pet of a good oral flea control product like Comfortis (Acuguard).

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for that concise reply. We live in New York and our backyard is concrete and we have no carpet in the house. Our floors are all hardwood floors. Would you still recommend bombing the house. And is theflea control product you mention similar to Capstar?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Good question.
Capstar only lasts for 24 hours!
Comfortis lasts for 30 days. Incredible product and a favorite of dermatologists.

Yes, I think bombing might be worthwhile because there are quite a few pets involved, and therefore, a greater reservoir for eggs in the home.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it safe to use comfortis after testing with frontline?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That is why if you can get it, that's preferred. Using another topical so soon would be more problematic.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director