Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Hi, my dog hit his nail on the tv remote earlier and it took

Hi, my dog hit his nail on the tv remote earlier and it took off basically his entire nail? if you look at it from the bottom he took off his nail far past his quick but from the top it wouldnt appear is nail is missing. its like the top of his nail is a empty shell almost/ his nail spilt. i gave him so dog aspirin to help with the pain because he keeps licking it, there is dried blood on the bottom side, should i just go ahead and clip the remaining "top shell" part of his nail or leave it alone?? also is it okay for his lick it?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. I am so sorry to hear about Balto's nail. This is a common problem when dogs bang their nails. If Balto will allow you to clip the remaining outer shell that remains, that would be fine. You can also clean the nail bed where it broke off with some diluted Betadine and water, then follow up with some Neosporin. You can cover the foot with a baby bootie or small sock to keep him from licking at it, although it will not cause a problem if he does lick it. You will want to monitor the healing and if you notice redness or swelling, then I would have him into the Vet to be looked at and make sure there is no issues from the injury that may require further care. In most cases this type of injury heals well with the care that I have suggested. Please let me know if you need clarification or have further questions. Joan

Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Balto. How is everything going?