Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 4 year old cavapoo became lethargic in the last two days.

My 4 year old cavapoo became lethargic in the last two days. He is eating and drinking. Stool seems normal. He feels a bit warm in the lower abdomen and occasionally yelps as if in pain, even while lying down. Only change event would be that he was jumping and running to get a ball. I did not see or hear him get hurt but he has a slightly arched back, guarded stance, and moves very slowly.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Cooper's discomfort. That is good that he's still eating and drinking at this time. Is he urinating normally? Any straining to urinate? Any vomiting? Is he breathing normally?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Urinating seems normal. No vomiting. Breathing is strained at times and his heartbeat accelerates when I pick him up. At night it was the same thing. He would breath heavily with an accelerated heartrate and then it would drop again.

That is good that he's not had any vomiting and is urinating normally. Based on your description of him and the answers to the questions, a disc / back issue would have to be very suspicious. If a disc is protruding and causing discomfort, it could cause signs just as you're seeing. If he was to start to not be able to walk, then this would be very much suspect. At this time, it would be best to have a vet evaluate Cooper to see if anything else was going on. They could then start up pain medication to help keep him comfortable while hopefully his back heals. Rest and time will help a lot of these cases. Here is a good link on this.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2373

Please let me know what questions this brings up.
Hi Serge,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for following up. He's doing fine now. Your diagnosis was right on. Thank you.

I'm very glad to hear that Cooper is doing well at this time. Please let me know if any future questions come up. Take care and give him a good petting for me.