Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my dog has bad breath. what is the best way to help freshen

my dog has bad breath. what is the best way to help freshen her breath?
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. Most often, canine bad breath is caused by dental or gum disease, and certain dogs are especially prone to plaque and tartar. However, persistent bad breath can also indicate larger medical problems in the mouth, respiratory system, gastrointestinal tract, or organs. Your veterinarian is the best person to pinpoint the cause. A physical examination and laboratory work may be performed. If your dog's breath suddenly has an unusual smell, please consult your veterinarian. The following cases can signal medical problems that need immediate treatment.
  • Unusually sweet or fruity breath could indicate diabetes, particularly if your dog has been drinking and urinating more frequently than usual.
  • Breath that smells like urine can be a sign of kidney disease.
  • An unusually foul odor accompanied by vomiting, lack of appetite, and yellow-tinged corneas or gums could signal a liver problem.

Treatment depends on your vet's diagnosis. If plaque is the culprit, your dog might require a professional cleaning. If it's an issue of diet, you might have to change your dog's regular food. If the cause is gastrointestinal or an abnormality in your dog's liver, kidneys, or lungs, please consult your vet about steps you should take. Many people assume that bad breath in dogs, especially at a certain age, is a "given." But that's not the case. In fact, being proactive about your pup's oral health will not only make your life together more pleasant, it's smart preventive medicine.

• Bring your dog in for regular checkups to make sure he has no underlying medical issues that may cause halitosis.
  • Make sure your vet monitors and tracks the state of your dog's teeth and breath.
  • Feed your dog a high-quality, easy-to-digest food.
  • Brush your dog's teeth frequently -- every day is ideal. (Please be sure to use toothpaste formulated for dogs as human toothpaste can upset a canine's stomach.)
  • Provide hard, safe chew toys that allow your dog's teeth to be cleaned by the natural process of chewing.
  • Discuss home-use oral health products with your veterinarian to see if there's a type he or she recommends.

I recommend the CET products:

http://www.entirelypets.com/larbagcetche.html?mr:trackingCode=DA858A05-EC27-D F11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=33342443230&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=48746208670&origin=pla&gclid=CKfukK35_bkCFasRMwodMAIAA

Those chews are good, and so is this spray:

http://budgetpetmeds.stores.yahoo.net/cetorsp8oz.html

Hope this information helps! Best of luck.