Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

I have a nine month staffy/ boxer, lovable little guy but Im

I have a nine month staffy/ boxer, lovable little guy but I'm having trouble with basic training. House training not bad, letting him off his lead is OK providing there are no distractions, like children around, or other dogs.With no distractions he will come on recall,anything other which gets his attention, forget it. he has also entered a period of origami, anything paper that he can get hold of he rips up.
He loves his toys but they all seem to suffer the same fate as the paper.
I have been informed that this is just all part of being a puppy and that he will grow out of it. I would be grateful for any help. Colin Waugh.

Dr. J. :

Hey Colin, Would be happy to help you with this! All the paper chewing etc is puppy stuff unfortunately. :( But the losing his attention on you can be dangerous for him as you can imagine. The best possible thing you could do at this point to change that is to find a really good dog trainer who can preferably come to your house where he can first learn in a situation with no distractions and then integrate him into a class where there are gradually more and more distractions. Fortunately, there are some trainers out there now that offer both so you don't have to change trainers which you don't want to do once you find a good one. Ask your local vets about trainers that usually know who to stay away from.Colin, this will be the best money you have even spent. Please let me know if you have any other questions as I will check back later to see if you do. Delighted to help you with any further questions. Sincerely, Dr.J